A Travellerspoint blog

Day 55 Dublin, Ireland

Tuesday 6 September 2016

sunny 23 °C

Tomorrow night we bid farewell to Ireland so I might make this the last blog. We managed a sleep-in this morning with our comfy bed and air-conditioning. Yes, believe it or not we needed it. It was hot in Dublin yesterday (reached 22 degrees) and we lost power in our room in the afternoon. The lady at reception said it was because it was sooooo hot. I still had my trusty coat handy. Anyway power came back on and was right all night. There was an apology letter under the door when we came back.
So after rising at 9am we had a sumptuous breakfast and then headed out for our hop on hop off tour around Dublin. This gave us a chance to have a look at the place. There was so much road works going on its difficult to keep track of where you were as the bus had to keep doubling back. Dublin is a very busy city. There are streets everywhere and wherever you look it appears to be bustling with people. We did one lap and then decided to get off at the Guinness Storehouse. The tour was very interesting and Ross was hoping that he hadn’t made a mistake by not drinking it before today. We got to taste a small bit and then Ross took the opportunity to learn to pour his own pint of Guinness. He did well and earnt a certificate. I chose to have soft drink and was disappointed as I was given a soda one out of the tap thing at the bar.
Back on the bus, we headed towards the jail and got off to have a quick look at the gift shop but it had limited merchandise. Should have gone to the one in Belfast. We left the bus near O’Connell Street and went to the Arlington Hotel as I had picked up a brochure for the Celtic Nights Show held there. It was a three course dinner and show for €34 so we bought tickets. We had to take the 6.30 dinner time which was fine by me as we hadn’t eaten since breakfast.
Dinner was fine and the show was wonderful. There was a band made up of a singer, as well as a fiddle, a banjo and a guitar. They sang many ballads for the first hour and then the Irish dancers came on. Lots of banging, clapping and toe pointing ensued – very enjoyable. I was so pleased to have had the opportunity to go as the actual Irish Dancing Show finished in August. We had to walk back to the motel after the show at 10.30pm. We studied the map in the afternoon so we had a good idea of where to go. It was easier than we thought. Dublin was still alive – restaurants, bars and the streets. What a city!
Tomorrow we will do a few more things, like visit the Molly Malone Statue as the bus couldn’t get to her. There could be some last minute shopping, though I don’t know where we will put it. Let’s hope we get to have another day with our coat off. Maybe we will break out the shorts before we leave!!

Posted by gpric6 15:31 Archived in Ireland

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint